How does ShareCover work with homeowner’s insurance?


The insurance ShareCover provides is not the same as the cover from your standard home and contents insurance policy; landlord policy; or from covers and guarantees provided by platforms. It’s also not a replacement for any of these.

ShareCover offers flexible home, contents and liability insurance specifically for those renting their property through recognised sharing economy platforms like Airbnb, Stayz, and TripAdvisor. ShareCover is designed to operate in tandem with your existing standard home and contents insurance, which may not necessarily cover you for damage or loss resulting from acts or omissions of guests renting or sharing your property. This is often because short-term renting and home-sharing are recognised as commercial uses of property, and thus fall outside of cover provided by personal, residential homeowner’s insurance.

So, ShareCover isn’t a replacement for your homeowner’s insurance, but rather operates as an additional, flexible form of cover, to support your participation in the sharing economy.

For more details about how ShareCover works, what it does and doesn’t cover, and how to claim, see our Product Disclosure Statement.


Do I need insurance to use sharing economy platforms like Airbnb, Stayz and TripAdvisor?

Find out how ShareCover differ from covers or guarantees provided to hosts provided by some recognised sharing economy platforms