Do I need insurance to use sharing economy platforms like Airbnb, Stayz or TripAdvisor?

Ultimately the decision to insure your property is up to you.

In most cases property owners or landlords have some form of home and contents insurance. However, this doesn’t mean you are automatically covered by your standard home and contents insurance when you rent out your property on platforms such as AirbnbStayz, or TripAdvisor.

Also, while many recognised sharing economy platforms provide some form of cover or guarantee for hosts renting their property to guests - for example, Airbnb offer a Host Guarantee as well as Host Protection Insurance and Experience Protection Insurance - these do not necessarily cover you for all instances of property damage incurred during a guest’s stay.

ShareCover is designed to offer flexible insurance that protects you from risks associated with having a guest in your property. ShareCover isn’t, however, intended to replace your standard home and contents policy, landlord policy, or guarantees provided by sharing economy platforms like AirbnbStayz, or TripAdvisor. Rather, it provides cover for additional risks associated with renting your house on a recognised sharing economy platform.


Find out how ShareCover differ from covers or guarantees provided to hosts provided by some recognised sharing economy platforms

How does ShareCover work?

How does ShareCover work with homeowner’s insurance?