Do I need insurance even if I'm not the owner of the property listed on Airbnb, Stayz or TripAdvisor?

Ultimately the decision to get insurance is up to you.

If you’re not the owner of the property listed on Airbnb, in many cases the owner or landlord will have some form of home and contents insurance. But, crucially, this doesn’t mean the property (and you as a tenant) are automatically covered when you rent out that property on platforms such as Airbnb, Stayz, or TripAdvisor. Nor will damage or loss necessarily be covered by the cover or guarantee for hosts provided by some recognised sharing economy platforms (e.g. Airbnb’s Host Guarantee). If you something gets damaged or someone gets hurt during a paying guests’ stay, you, or the property owner, may have to personally foot the bill.

As a non-owner of the listed property, you are still able to purchase ShareCover. You must, however, obtain written consent from the landlord or property owner, and if you make a claim, we will ask for a copy of that consent. Also, note that when you purchase ShareCover for a property you rent and do not own, it is the landlord or property owner who will be the beneficiary of any building claim that arises from the policy.


Can I purchase ShareCover even if I don’t own the property I’ve listed on a platform like Airbnb, Stayz or TripAdvisor?

Do I need landlord permission to use sharing economy platforms like Airbnb, Stayz and TripAdvisor?

Find out more about risks you may be exposed to when using sharing economy platforms, and why you may need cover